History of Indian Head Resort
Indian Head Resort started its journey as Indian Head Estate in 1913 with 10 campsites. Over the years these first campsites grew to more than 70 cabins and bungalows. In 1922 a group of three-room cabins were opened and a few years later, 29 more cabins were added and named “English Village”.
A wooden observation tower was built on the west side of Rt. 3 to view the famous Indian Head Rock Profile. The tower proved an extremely popular viewing station for the local landmark, and a more sturdy steel tower was later constructed. In the 1950’s the 100-foot steel observation tower was relocated across the street to its present location along with the main office and facilities.
In the 1950’s Indian Head modernized and converted to motel accommodations. These rooms are still found above our main lobby and dining room.
Since then the resort has continued to grow, thanks to our loyal Indian Head Resort family of visitors, and has reached 98 rooms of varying accommodation styles, 40 cabins, 4 bungalows, a vast award-winning dining room with a capacity of 300+ people and facilities that include indoor/outdoor pools and relaxing hot spas, tennis courts, a game room, the newly expanded Thunderbird Lounge, frequent entertainment for kids in the Green Room, and Shadow Lake for fishing and paddle boating. Open year-round, Indian Head Resort has continued to expand and grow to meet your needs.
Indian Head is truly a family business – the Spanos family have owned and operated Indian Head since 1962. Under their management, this White Mountain landmark has grown from a simple destination camp into the full service resort it is today.
For more information on the history of Indian Head Resort, check out “Indian Head, a Dream Fulfilled” by bestselling White Mountains’ historian, Floyd Ramsey.
This beautifully illustrated booklet is on sale in our Gift Shop.